Thursday, May 29, 2014

I am

I recently read a blog post on the Internet from a writer who is LDS. This writer claimed that he/she was too square to fit in the roundness of the church. Then the author went on to list all of the things that he/she likes about the church and the things that he/she doesn't accept about the church. I have heard this all before. 

Well, I will tell you who I am. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I do not take my membership lightly. I do not take the covenants I have made with Heavenly Father lightly. I do not take my temple marriage lightly, either. These things are all very important to me. They shape who I am. They shape the decisions I make every day. I am proud of who I am.

I am a mother. To three children. I am a wife. I am a friend. I am a caring neighbor. A visiting teacher (which means so much more to me than one visit a month). 
I love my children fiercely. In a mama bear kind of way. 
 I value my temple marriage. The place we live now is just over 2 hours away from the temple. We try to go as often as we can (I am not going to get real specific here on frequency) but after it has been awhile I get a little homesick for the temple. That's because it feels like home. A spiritual home. A place where I can feel close to my Heavenly Father and leave behind the cares and worries and noises of the real world. And I won't deny the fact that I get excited when we drive to the temple and pull up in the parking lot and I get to go in. 

Jesus Christ lives. Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us to return back to His presence. And I embrace the gospel. All of it.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hillary,
You are my hero. I wish I was more like you! You are kind, thoughtful, and you love so much! You are such an example to me. I have been trying to be a better visiting teacher. Can you give some examples on how you do more than just a monthly visit. Especially to sisters that are much older than you and are not in the same way of life as me.

Mom said...

That's a very sweet post. I didn't know you were back blogging again. I'm glad to see you are. Love you.